Reasons for using
The reasons of using an e-portfolio are different. The important reason is to keep order and to establish order in the growing knowledge. When the acknowledge is growing you will reach a point, you are unable to keep order in this knowledge.
Then you must create an e-portfolio. Please look at this nice website from Dr. Helen Barrett. You see at once, that you have many space to order your knowledge.
Another reason of using an e-portfolio is the following: Future-oriented teachers must have knowledge about e-portfolios, because eLearning will have a growing importance at school. When eLearning grows at school, teachers and pupils will lose the overall view about the knowledge in the eLearning-area.
"Benefits for learners:
- Support for independent learning, which is crucial for the development of academic research skills. It puts the student in the centre of the learning process and equips him/her with a powerful tool for personal development, enhancing critical thinking, writing and communication skills.
- Facilitation of the presentation of achievements for various audiences, such as examination boards, tutors, peers or potential employers, in an attractive and portable way.
- Presentation of various on-line activities and enhancement of their educational and professional value with different media and formats
- Support for personal knowledge management and personal development planning as a unique opportunity for reflecting over one‘s learning and, at the same time, encouragement of progress by demonstrating achievements
- Benefits for academics
- Easy access to students’ records and evidence.
- Enhancement of the teaching strategies, enabling to focus on the individual learner and incorporate alternative assessment methods.
- Sharing contents and reflections.
- Support for professional development planning.
Benefits for universities
- Facilitation of data flow and transparency, allowing quick access to students’ records. It is especially important with the view to cross-faculty, cross-university or multinational programs, where the mobility of both academics and students is high.
- Support for the outcome-based accreditation and certification process
- Support for building a learning community of academics"
Source: http://www.mosep.org/index.php/lang-en/home/ephei (13.01.2009, 11:32)