Study-instructions: Invention of Central Perspective
How to use the following materials?
The order of these articles is not fixed, but can vary according to your specific interest and study focus, although in general all articles should be read and be taken into consideration when answering the questions, or working on related texts, essays and multimedia-snippets.
Questions regarding the material
The following questions and discussion-themes should be easy to answer and discuss after working yourself through these materials. They can be taken as starting points and should provide ideas for your Knowledge Formation - assignment.
- How did Brunelleschi conduct his experiment in front of the Baptistery in Florence in the year 1425?
- What does the term ’symbolic form’ describe?
- What is the difference between central perspective as ‚depiction technology’ and central perspective as symbolic form?
- Which interdisciplinary fields does the central perspective influence until nowadays?
- What are the consequences of the central perspective for our perception of space and time?
- Does the central perspective today still play a role? Give examples and explain why.
- Are there any connections between the central perspectice and current media applications at all? Does the central perspective still play a role in times of databases?
- Is there still a need of teaching central perspective as a drawing technique in school? How would you, if at all, teach the central perspective as depiction technology?
- Where lies the difference between the central perspective solely as depiction technology and the central perspective as symbolic form?